Thursday, May 1, 2008

"Hills Like White Elephants"

"Hills like White Elephants"
by Ernest Hemingway

While reading the story, I noticed that there is ALOT of dialogue going on here. It's like I can, picture the conversation in my head, but at times I did forget which character was talking. The girl, Jig, that is with the American seems to not know what she wants. She has to always second guess herself and ask for the Amercan's decision. She's seems to agree with everything the American does or suggest. Throughout the story, I kept wondering what was so simple that Jig had to do and why did she have to do it in order to be happy with this American man? The american keeps requesting drinks for her, so I'm also wondering if these people are drunk? I noticed that on one side of the river, there was shade and the other side there were bare white hills, I kept asking myself what was the significance of it? Towards the end of the story, I was starting to think that the "operation" was to get Jig to "shut-up". When people are drunk, they tend to be really talkative. I couldn't figure out why Jig was so concerned at whether or not she should do "it". I wondered to myself whether or not they are comfortable and I think the American was just trying to be dominate towards Jig and taking advantage of her because she's naive and gullible.

No comments: