Monday, May 5, 2008

"Happy Endings"

"Happy Endings" by Margaret Atwood

I was interested in the story from the first three sentences. then when I went on to read plot "A", I was thinking was this all? Proving the point about how "happy endings" can be quite boring because they're unrealistic. Then from plot "B" of the story, I started thinking about how some women have this whole notion that they can change a man and only see a man for what that woman wants him to be. So women try to do everything right and play little games to sway a man into marring them. Then they get upset when the games don't work and a man finds another he really loves.



Also throughout the story, I loved how the author used some of the same names. This made reading the story more interesting and I had to keep in mind that the other plots didn't connect together, until the last four. The last few plots didn't give alot of description. They just talked about "what" happened and no explantaion as to "why" or "how." While reading this story I thought about how we as humans (mostly women), tend to plot our own lives and hope for a happy ending. Yet, why do we get upset when things don't go according to plan? It's interesting how one's life can go in many directions over time, and your plans end up being obligated to change.

No comments: