Thursday, April 3, 2008

"Rappacini's Daughter"

"Rappacini's Daughter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne











Okay, I'm not going to lie...this story REALLY confused me at first.

The language and the whole tone of the story was difficult, but that's suppose to make you grow, right?

This story made me think about how father's are so protective of their daughters. It was also interesting how you could compare this story in some way to Adam and Eve in the Bible. At first I thought Rappaccini didn't want his daughter to be with anyone else. Like he wanted her all to himself. This makes me think about the "father-daughter" relationship. Sometimes I think a father may have sense of "jealousy" towards any man wanting to be with his special "flower".

I feel that a father may feel threatened by that fact that his daughter could love another man, other than himself. But the fascinating part about a father's jealousy is that it can be changed if he feels comfortable about who his daughter is going to be with.

No comments: