Friday, April 18, 2008

Ordinary People

While I was watching all the parts of this movie, I noticed alot of things. One of the things I noticed was the relationship between the parents. The mother is more introverted then the father. She keeps her feelings hidden from herself and others. I think that since her older son had died, she faults Conrad for his death. She doesn't have a relationship with Conrad like she did with her her olde son, Buck. Conrad had some mental issues involving his brother's death. He's been taking the fault himself. However, the parents feel like they need to keep Conrad straight and the mother feels that the family issues should stay within the family. The mother in a way reminded me of myself. I can be a very private person and I can keep to myself at times which can be a good thing and a bad thing. I noticed alot of things about parenthood. It's like a constant struggle within the parents relationship. This whole notion about "worrying" about your children and how you shouldn't because it's a waste of energy. I do think that that is true to a certain extent. It's natural for parents to worry about there children, but there is a time when parents need to learn that they can no longer control their kids. It's a time when the kids have start to use there own judgement and use what their parents have instilled in them. Another thin about Conrad's mother was that she is a very selfish person and also insecure. I got to wondering about how couples change in marriages. I thought about how important it is for BOTH parents to be level-headed and balanced in order to keep there families and marraige together. It's a big struggle being in a marriage and parenting, it's not all you see in movies and stories. It can be a big sacrifice, one that you may not be willing to take.

No comments: